Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Stud onions with cloves. Rinse corned beef in cold water to remove brine. Put beef in a large pot and add onions, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, skimming occasionally.
- Wash cabbage, remove core and any torn leaves, then cut into 6 wedges. Add cabbage and potatoes to beef, then cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board and cover with a plate weighted with heavy cans (weighting makes meat easier to slice).
- Transfer onions, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes to a platter. Remove cloves from onions. Strain cooking liquid, discarding bay leaves and peppercorns. Return liquid to pot and cook over high heat until reduced by one-third, 20 - 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Return vegetables to stock and heat through for about 5 minutes. Remove plate and cans from meat and cut across the grain, in 1/4 inch-thick slices. Arrange beef and vegetables on warmed platter. Moisten with stock. Serve with additional stock and hot mustard if you like.
|Nutrition Facts |
Serving Size: 12
Servings: Serves 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories 473 Calories from Fat 261
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g 44%|
|Saturated Fat 18g 90%|
|Cholesterol 114mg 38%|
|Sodium 1383mg 57%|
|Total Carbohydrates 38g 12%|
|Dietary Fiber 12g 48%|
|Sugar 10g %|
|Protein 48g 80%|
|* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|