New England Fish Chowder
- Skin and bone the fish. Cut the fish meat into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Place the head and backbone in a saucepan. Cover with 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid.
- In a soup pot, cook the salt pork until all fat is rendered.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the potatoes and cover with the remaining 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook over moderately low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish pieces and the strained liquid. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Just before serving, add the butter, milk, crackers, and salt and pepper. Heat through and serve in warmed bowls.
|Nutrition Facts |
Serving Size: 20
Servings: Serves 20
Amount Per Serving
Calories Calories from Fat
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat %|
|Saturated Fat %|
|Total Carbohydrates %|
|Dietary Fiber %|
|* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|