French Scalloped Potatoes
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350Â°F. Cut the potatoes into fairly thin slices.
- 2. Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and pour over the milk, adding more to cover if needed. Add the salt and pepper, nutmeg and the bay leaf. Bring slowly to a boil over medium heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes just start to soften, but are not completely cooked, and the milk has thickened.
- 3. Generously butter a 14 inch oval gratin dish or an 8 cup shallow baking dish and sprinkle the garlic over the base.
- 4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to the gratin or baking dish. Taste the milk and adjust the seasoning, then pour over enough of the milk to come just to the surface of the potatoes, but not cover them. Spoon a thin layer of cream over the top, or, if you prefer, add more of the thickened milk to cover.
- 5. Bake the potatoes for about 1 hour until the milk is absorbed and the top is a deep golden brown.
|Nutrition Facts |
Serving Size: 6
Servings: Serves 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 110 Calories from Fat 90
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g 15%|
|Saturated Fat 8g 40%|
|Cholesterol 25mg 8%|
|Sodium 1236mg 51%|
|Total Carbohydrates 13g 4%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g 12%|
|Sugar 13g %|
|Protein 11g 18%|
|* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|