Ask The Chef
Enjoying Oatmeal Again
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. For many, it's also our favorite meal. Hectic schedules often tie us down to toast and cold cereal during the week. That leaves two mornings to relax and cozy up to a bowl of heart-warming oatmeal.
Oatmeal has been the popular choice of early risers for years; whether you bake or boil it. Oats are fashionable among the health conscious for several reasons. Studies have proven that diets high in fiber lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
A true morning treat is sharing a heart-warming bowl of oatmeal with those you love most. Why not show the kids just how much fun healthy eating can be. Try different combinations and you may just find new ways to enjoy this perfect comfort food!
* Raspberry non-fat yogurt and dried cranberries
* Apricot fruit spread and sliced almonds
* Maple-flavor pancake syrup and chopped toasted pecans
* Canned crushed pineapple, sliced bananas, and chopped nuts
* Reduced fat peanut butter and strawberry fruit spread
* Canned pear slices, maple-flavor pancake syrup, and ground cinnamon
* Coarsely chopped canned peaches and ground ginger
* Reduced-fat caramel topping and chopped pecans
* Blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
* Sliced bananas and mini semisweet morsels
* Warm apple pie filling and skim milk